Friday, December 20, 2013

Spinach Cheese Squares

Thanks to our Sew Mama Sew apron winner I have a new recipe for everyone to add to their holiday table.  So many of the dishes entered into the contest sounded supper yummy, but in the end Victoria's spinach cheese squares won me over.  Not only are they easy to make, but the ingredients can be found anywhere, and that's super important to me because we move a lot and certain ingredients become hard to find in different regions and countries.

piece

Spinach Cheese Squares are moist, cheesy, and delicious.  I made this batch faithfully to Victoria's recipe, but I could see using this as a base and adding other items like onion, garlic, or other vegetables too.


You will need:

375-400°F

1 lb Monterey jack cheese (grate it or buy 2 8oz packages grated at the grocery)
2 packages chopped frozen spinach (defrosted, squeezed dry, and cut through with a knife a few time) OR about 1/2 pound of fresh spinach, rinsed, dried, stems removed.
1/2 cup flour (I have made this with as little as one tablespoon of flour)
1 cup milk
4 eggs lightly beaten
1/2 - 1 stick of butter 
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp white pepper (opt.)
1/2 tsp salt (opt.)

Directions:


1. Prepare the spinach.

2. Grate the cheese.

3.Melt the butter in a 9 x 13 glass casserole dish in the oven as it preheats to 375-400°F degrees. Make sure it does not get too brown or burn. Take it out and set aside when melted.

1

4. Mix the baking powder/salt/pepper into the flour with a fork until evenly distributed

2

5. Mix the flour mixture into the beaten eggs and slowly mix in the milk to make the custard.

3

6. Pour in the cheese and the spinach and mix WITH A FORK.

4

7. Pour the lumpy mixture into the baking dish on top of the melted butter. Gently distribute it in the pan without patting it down. The heat of the oven will spread it out.

8. Bake 35 - 40 minutes until the center is baked, slightly raised, and the edges are crispy with the melted butter.

5

9. Cool a few minutes (it will flatten a bit) before cutting into individual servings.


That's it.  Easy and delicious.  Next time, I think that I'm going to go with a bit less flour and butter as Victoria suggested, and I might add some garlic just because we love garlic in this house :)

Thanks again to everyone who entered their recipe ideas.  I hope you enjoy making Victoria's spinach cheese squares in the near future.

To download and save an easy print, text version of this recipe, click here.


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe, I'm going to try it out during Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make something very similar to this but do not use any flour, salt or baking powder....I do add onions, mushrooms, and some times small bits of potato. Omitting the flour and baking powder = gluten free! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely going to add this to my list of recipes to try out with my vegetarian daughter-in-law! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I posted this on Facebook and agree with Sewing Stitches, I have to be gf and omit the flour and baking powder and Celtic Thistle, I am a vegetarian. Karen, I am looking forward to the apron and can't wait to wear it the nxt time I am cooking for friends.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...