Monday, August 25, 2014

Playing with clay

In this post, I'm linking up with both Celtic Thistle Stitches and Missy Mac Creations for the HO HO HO and on we sew linky party and the new to me in August linky party because this month's Christmas gifts were done in a medium that I really don't have that much experience in; clay.

After I bought a ginormous block of white clay (apparently they don't just sell little blocks), I had more than enough for everyone to make something.  I couldn't let the kids have all the fun alone so I went ahead and made a little bird bath ring holder with some left-over clay for above my kitchen sink.  Right now, it's holding some buttercups that my son picked for me, but I just want to share the results of my dabbling with ceramics with everyone here. 

IMG_0076

Nope, clay is not something that I work in a lot.  Turns out that the whole process is a lot more involved than I originally intended since I had to drive over an hour away to drop off and pick up the masterpieces for two different firings, but I had a few projects in mind that I really wanted to do with kiln fired clay (not oven baked) and so we bit the bullet and focused on two main projects.


The first project was making a hand impressions for each of my children.  My mother has ones that we did as kids, and I wanted to do some too while the kids are still little.  I tried to do this a while back but someone else's project exploded in the kiln and ruined my stuff :(

IMG_7442

Hence, this time I rented out the whole kiln for just my stuff so that all these Christmas gifts that the kids made didn't get ruined again (plus, we made a lot of items since I had to use up a 25lb brick of clay).  I love all their little creations, and they are all excited about giving something hand-made to the grandparents.

IMG_7424

The main Christmas project that I got done were these fingerprint Christmas tree ornaments that my oldest helped me to paint and glaze before firing.  There's an ornament for each grandchild and one with where my husband and I made a heart shape with our thumb prints.

IMG_7435

I love sweet sentimental gifts like this and I think that the grandparents are really going to enjoy them.  I'm glad that we took the time to do these with kiln fired clay because the quality is just great, but it is a much more involved process than doing this same thing with oven baked clay.  I don't know if I'll be doing this again anytime soon, but we all enjoyed trying something new, and I think that everyone's gifts turned out great.  

5 comments:

  1. Such lovely gifts for giving to grandparents. And the bird holder is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh - saw your picture @ New to Me for August, and came over for a peek - those fingerprint ornaments are just FANTASTIC! What an absolutely perfect gift for the grandparents!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous idea Karen!! I love sentimental gifts like that too and not only will the grandparents love them but I bet the kids will enjoy pulling them out year after year and seeing how much they've grown! Thanks so much for linking up to Ho, Ho, Ho and On We Sew this month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those finger print ornaments, hand prints and your little bird bath ring holder are just sweet and adorable!! I'm so glad I got to see them all. Makes me want to get a kiln!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous makes Karen, they will be treasured for years to come.

    Thanks for linking up to New to Me and Ho, Ho, Ho and on We Sew too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...